31 December, 2005

Dragonfly in Amber; Voyager; and Drums of Autumn (Diana Gabaldon)

These books are immensely trashy, filled with a slightly sickening attitidue towards love and romance, and a distastefully homophobic world view. Yet I'm kind of addicted to the time-travel premise, despite doubts that Gabaldon's picture of the world 200 years ago is in any way accurate.

In these books, the eternally passion-struck Claire and Jamie travel to France and then to America. In the third, their daughter Brianna and her fiance travel through time to find her parents, and there are rapes, pregnancies, and lots of sickening declarations of love. (This is why romance as a genre is really not for me.)

As this series progresses, the author seems to be becoming more and more fond of the idea that men exist to take care of and to protect women, and even if women think they're independent, secretly they love it when a man comes striding in to protect their honour. Gag. I don't think I'm going to read any more of these - they leave a bad taste in my mouth.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I feel exactly the same way, I was put onto these books and they are my shameful secret addiction.