24 February, 2006

Salem Falls (Jodi Picoult)

Salem Falls is by an author who's known for doing "issues" books. I've read My Sister's Keeper, which is about children who are born to help a sibling with a genetic illness, and it was decent, and gripping, if not particularly brilliant and reasonably trashy (which I'm using in the sense of a very overly emotional and cliche ridden work).

Salem Falls is similarly over-dramatic, especially the court scenes in the last half of the book. But it is a gripping story (I almost missed my train station), and I wasn't expecting the twist on the last page (although I'm sure many other discerning readers have spotted it - it's not exactly masterfully hidden, but I was reading greedily). The issue of Salem Falls is rape, and it's done fairly well - fictional representations of rape trials always fascinate me. It's a fun, absorbing read, for the beach or the train, but by no means is it particularly wonderful fiction. 3 out of 5.

1 comment:

Books and Tea For Two said...

Update girl! I am dying to see what you read!