22 October, 2006

The Constant Princess (Philippa Gregory)

I like Philippa Gregory's historical novels, especially this loose series of hers which has been revolving around Henry VIII and the powerful families of that time. The Constant Princess is the story of Katherine of Aragon, and we begin by meeting Catalina, Infanta of Spain, when she is a child, watching her parents fight battles and secure their kingdom.

I think Catalina's descriptions of her parents' court are the most beguiling and beautifully written parts of The Constant Princess - I longed to spend my days reclining in a scented bathhouse, and strolling through gardens wearing thin silk robes. Gregory imagines her in love with her first husband, Arthur, and this is a pleasurable little romance. Unfortunately, I think the story finishes a little abruptly - we do not see the birth of Mary, or Katherine's decline in power. I would have liked to see how Gregory portrayed these times in Katherine's life.

No comments: