03 November, 2006

Going Postal (Terry Pratchett)

I've never listened to any of Pratchett's books on audio before, and wasn't sure how his brand of satire (complete with many footnotes) would work when read aloud. Thankfully, it works really well - even the footnotes make their way into the text nicely - and Pratchett's familiar characters really came alive for me in this. I've never felt a particular attachment to Going Postal (yes, it's a book I've read twice before, but I think Pratchett is worth at least several re-reads), but it really worked for me this time. Moist regularly made me giggle out loud, and I loved his very weird romance with the chain-smoking advocate for golems, Adora Belle Dearheart. The next Discworld novel that Pratchett is working on, Making Money, is also going to star Moist - can't wait.

No comments: