03 December, 2006

Twilight (Stephenie Meyer)

I read good reviews of Twilight on several blogs, but was put off by the fact that it was a teen love story involving a vampire - not really my type of thing. However, I found an audio book of it in the library, and thought I'd give it a listen. I hated the voice of the narrator at first, but got used to it (I think you could get used to anything after listening to it for about 12 hours), and despite my initial irritation with it, really loved the story I was hearing.

Twilight is a super-romantic over the top love story between a teenage girl and one of her classmates, who's a vampire. Naturally, their relationship abounds in tension, mostly because Bella smells so very edible to Edward. I like Meyer's vampires - they're original and attractive creatures - and although some parts of this Romeo & Juliet-like romance made me roll my eyes a little, I still really enjoyed it, and was very involved with the characters. I think if I'd read this while I was a teenager I would have become quite obsessed with it - it's just my sort of thing. Can't wait to read New Moon, the sequel.

6 comments:

Booklogged said...

I don't know that I'll bother reading New Moon, although I enjoyed Twilight. New Moon's cover is awesome.

Cee said...

I loved the whole over-the-top teenage romance of Twilight, Booklogged, so I can't wait to read New Moon :-)

jenclair said...

Reminded me of Joss Whedon - not nearly as witty, but still fun. I'm waiting for New Moon, too.

Alice said...

I loved Twilight, and New moon too! my favorite books ever!! The covers are amazing too, and I like the mystery of them. But the writing is what makes the story.

Cee said...

Yes, sometimes the author takes it all a bit too seriously for my liking JenClair - all the "I will happily die for you, tra la la" stuff. New Moon is even worse in that regard.

Yes, covers might appeal at first glance, but generally it is the writing that makes a book Alice ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just checked out twilight (the new book at our school) and I am really looking forward to reading it. I'm not really the "reader type" but when my friend said it was a really good book, and was about a vampire, I had to check it out! I cant wait to go home and read it now! :)))))