09 January, 2007

Quaker Faith & Practice and This We Can Say

I picked up these two books, created by the Yearly Meetings of the British and Australian organisations of the Religious Society of Friends (otherwise known as Quakers) when I started to become very interested in Quaker writing on the web.

Of the two, I think I preferred This We Can Say, the Australian book. It was less traditional, I think, than Quaker Faith and Practice, and had a lot more about how Quaker thought and faith applies to everyday life.

Of course, these books are really only of interest if you're interested in Quakerism, intellectually or philosophically. Of the two, I think I'd recommend This We Can Say as the most accessible by far to non-Quakers. I'm not sure whether I'll take my interest in Quakerism any further, say by attending a meeting. Given that half the time I think I'm an athiest (or agnostic at the very least), I'm not sure if it's for me. Although, despite this, I found these books very inspirational, and I'm considering getting myself a copy of This We Can Say for future browsing.

No comments: