19 September, 2005

Maul (Tricia Sullivan)

This was a strange, strange novel, and it would be fairly accurate to say that most of the time, I had no idea what the hell was going on.
It's a twisting cyber-punk novel, set in a world where most men have succumbed to a virus. Gangs of teenage girls terrorise a mall. An experiment run on an autistic man enables him to control the mall environment, and eventually be healed by the virus within his system. A scientist is desperate to bear a child. And it all barrels along messily and doesn't resolve into much. There's a wolf motif too, but that completely confused me.
I do hate admitting that I didn't get something, but I honestly just didn't get this. It was completely over my head, and just seemed pointless. It'd be 1 out of 5 for some briefly amusing moments, but that's all.

No comments: