24 January, 2006

Human Croquet (Kate Atkinson)

This is another absolutely wonderful novel by Atkinson, who is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors. The way she uses language astounds me. I love the way her characters just come alive in my mind.

Human Croquet (I really hate this book's American cover, by the way - the one I read is much better) is the story of Isobel Fairfax, and her brother Charles. Their mother is missing, although small clues of her existence keep appearing, their father won't tell them anything about her, and their stepmother seems to be rapidly descending into insanity. The story skips around in time, so it has a fairly large ensemble of characters. Enormously funny in parts, full of rather beautiful despair in others - its a truly wonderful novel. 5 out of 5.

No comments: