13 January, 2006

Queenmaker (India Edghill)

I don't know much about Biblical stories, and so this novel about King David and his many wives was all new to me (although I don't think the author claims to be totally accurate with the Biblical tradition). This is the story of Michal, daughter of King Saul, wife to King David, and is a wonderful story. Michal is a wonderfully realised character, and her strong voice narrates her story, that of David, and his later wife, Bathsheba.

The period, what little I know of it, is realised well, and I could picture Jerusalem, its crowded streets, and the roofs of the houses where the women bathed. It's a well-written story, Michal's emotions and decisions are well realised. However, it wasn't a completely gripping book - if I was going to be incredibly pedantic, I'd give it 3.75/5.

No comments: