13 January, 2006

Mao's Last Dancer (Li Cunxin)

This is an autobiography by a ballet dancer, trained in China several years before the death of Mao. He travelled to America several times on a cultural exchange, eventually defected from China and married an American woman. English is his second language, and it's apparent in his writing - it's not terrible writing, but it's not a book I could enjoy purely for its writing.

I most enjoyed his descriptions of his peasant upbringing and his ballet training as a teenager - his drive and determination to be a fantastic dancer are phenomenal, and his longing to succeed in order to give something back to his family is very touching. In fact, I think the simplicity of the language used makes this come over more intensely.

All in all, a very enjoyable autobiography, and a wonderful evocation of China during the last years of Mao's reign (although I must admit, during parts I kept comparing it with Wild Swans, to its detriment). Four out of five.

1 comment:

Books and Tea For Two said...

I am so glad someone posted a note on my book blog - I wasn't sure if a single person had even looked at it! I really really enjoyed 'Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life', and though it is unusual, I am sure you will too.

I liked Sharon Owen's 'Tea House on Mulberry Street' and also, Cathy Kelly's 'Always and Forever'. Before these books, I would never even think to consider reading chick-lit, but I quite enjoyed both these books.

Have you read 'Middlesex'? I am reading his other book ('The Virgin Suicides') and am reminded of what a great writer he is.