03 April, 2006

Od Magic & The Book of Atrix Wolfe (Patricia McKillip)

I wanted to talk about these two books in the one entry, because they have certain points of similarity, and I didn't want to repeat myself.

Patricia McKillip is an excellent fantasy writer, her stories similar to the best magic realism, in that magic, shapeshifting and tricksy, edges its way perfectly naturally into her worlds. I find it difficult to describe what I find compelling about her voice - her lyrical powers of description are certainly beautiful, her characters are compelling. Her worlds seem ordinary, yet they are wondrous. It is easy to place yourself within them.

I enjoyed Od Magic, a story of the wizard Od, her school of magic, and the strange gardener she recruits, more so than Atrix Wolfe, which explores the idea of a fairy otherworld. Atrix Wolfe was confusing in places, its main character frustratingly obtuse, whereas Od Magic was a delight, although occasionally a tad heavy handed with its societal/political agenda. Very enjoyable. 4 out of 5 for Od Magic, and 3 out of 5 for The Book of Atrix Wolfe.

No comments: