03 April, 2006

Young Wives' Tales (ed Lisa Miya-Jervis)

When I first became engaged, I did a lot of thinking about marriage, and being married, and all the ingrained concepts I hold about that particular institution. And browsing in the feminist/women's studies area of the library, I came across this book, and grabbed it.

It was interesting, although I'm not that the editor's had much of a coherent theme in mind while doing their editing. I guess the point was to have a whole spectrum of views and experiences of marriage, but the book as a whole was a little too broad, really.

I enjoyed it thought - it was interesting reading about marriages, honeymoons, divorces, gay marriage, polygamous marriage, marriage with children, marriage without children, celibate marriages. It reminded me that marriage can be whatever you want it to be - there are no rules. Whatever works. So, a patchy but enjoyable read - 3 out of 5.

No comments: