23 August, 2006

Birds of Prey: Of Like Minds (Gail Simone)

I really enjoyed reading a comic about women superheroes - it's also the first comic I've read written by a woman, so that was exciting. Of Like Minds was a great jumping in point to this series; the characters' histories are subtly revealed, and it seems like the beginning of an interesting story arc.

I really liked the fact that Huntress, Black Canary and Oracle seemed like real people. I really enjoy reading Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman, but she's very much the perfect woman; everything with her is on a grand scale, and sometimes there's little to relate to. The Birds of Prey - now, they're relatable, and it was enormously fun reading a comic with superheroes that seemed like normal women. I'll be reading my way through all the volumes of this that the library owns.

No comments: