27 August, 2006

My Latest Grievance (Elinor Lipman)

I got My Latest Grievance from the library after reading about it on someone's blog, I think. Elinor Lipman is a wonderful storyteller, and I'm surprised that I haven't picked up anything of hers before. If I was to compare her to someone, it would be to Anne Tyler, I suppose - she tells deceptively simply stories, but ones that absorb you.

My Latest Grievance is the story of Frederica, who has lived all her life on a college campus with her parents, who are professors there. The unexpected apperance of her father's first wife gives Frederica a chance to exercise a bit of teenage rebellion, and ends up throwing the college into upheaval.

I really liked Frederica, who is a wonderful teenage character, and her overly concerned parents who psychoanalyse her at every turn. The college campus is a very well realised insular little world. My Latest Grievance is not a book I'll passionately re-read in the future, but, like Tyler's books, it is a very well-crafted story, and a pleasure to read.

No comments: