29 August, 2006

Forest Mage (Robin Hobb)

I love Robin Hobb's books, and after thoroughly enjoying Shaman's Crossing was looking forward to the second book in the series, Forest Mage. Unfortunately, although I liked the book, I was also disappointed in it.

Mostly my problem is with the main character, Nevare. He is filled with self-hatred and despair throughout this book - he hasn't lived up to his destiny as a soldier son, he feels he has betrayed his people and country, he feels damaged by the effects of magic on him. He is, at times, difficult to sympathise with - he is convinced that what would make him happy would be to go back to the Acadamy, study to be a soldier, fulfill all the expectations his family and society have for him. We see in this book, if we haven't done so before, that Nevare's family and society are filled with problems, and perhaps their expectations for him are not the best thing for him - but no matter how much this point is pushed throughout the book, Nevare refuses to accept it, which is very frustrating. There should be dichotomies and struggles within every character, of course, but I think Nevare should have come to terms with his struggle some time ago - it makes the plot drag miserably.

The world Hobb has created in this Soldier Son Trilogy is fascinating, as usual, and what kept me reading this book was my desire to learn more about it, and about Nevare's destiny. Nevare is just so frustrating though - I felt perhaps Spink and Epiny's story would have been a more interesting focal point for this book, simply because they both have very definite personalities and Nevare is much more blank. To be fair, I think he did improve as a main character towards the end of this book - he actually made a decision (glory be!) and did something. Then, of course, the story ends, and we have to wait until the release of the third volume to see it continue.

I'm probably being a little harsh on this book - if it weren't for the previous books of Hobb's that I've read and loved, I'd be much more positive - but I've seen what she can do with amazing main characters, and it's a pity that I don't see Nevare as one of those. Overall, an enthralling world, with some frustrating aspects in both the character and plot departments, and I look forward to seeing where Hobb takes it in the third volume.

No comments: