08 October, 2005

The Bride Stripped Bare (Anonymous)

The Bride Stripped Bare is fairly short novel, written in small chapters described as lessons, and in the second person. I thought I would find it clumsy, but it's very beguiling, and after a few pages I didn't notice the perspective at all.

This book made me think a lot of my own relationships, how I think about intimacy and sex, and how women discuss these sorts of things with each other. And I really value books that make me think about and evaluate myself. I'm going to recommend this to all my women friends. I think men would find it confusing, and I don't have all that many men friends anyway, hence the women-only recommendation. An absorbing and tactile read.

2 comments:

tokenwoman said...

I was going to ask you what you thought of it. I found it very thought provoking and eye opening.

I think it would make an interesting book club book. Although we would need wine to discuss some things in it...

JillWrites said...

I thought the same about that the point of view, but grew accustomed to it as well. I thought it was lovely and it made me think about my relationships as well.