27 October, 2005

In Her Shoes (Jennifer Weiner)

This is probably the first book I've ever read that might be characterised as chick-lit (although I think it's a pretty annoying and demeaning tag, most of the time). Unless you count reading Jackie Collins and Judith Krantz as a teenager, but I think they just count as junk-food books rather than chick-lit.
This was a light weekend read, but nothing special. I picked it up because I thought the movie looked enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd see the movie after reading the book. I didn't particularly like either of the characters, and it annoyed me that the 'intelligent lawyer' sister has to stop being a lawyer and start walking dogs to be happy. It irritates me that in those sort of books women can never be happy while working in a full-time job that exercises their minds. I found that I didn't particularly care whether or not the characters were reconciled with each other at the end.
The plot seemed a bit scattered, too - here and there, let's jump a year, and then bounce over to this character. Meh. It was OK. A 2 out of 5 book.

No comments: