06 October, 2005

Night Watch & Going Postal (Terry Pratchett)

I do love Terry Pratchett an awful lot. He's one of my favourite authors, the way he gives me comforting reasurances about the state of humanity (even if there are really horrible serial killers, there are always going to be wonderful characters like Sam Vimes who can stop them.)
And out of the great mass of characters that inhabit the Discworld, Sam Vimes is one my dearest favourites. His sarcasm, gruffness and struggle with himself - how can you not love the man? He is the star of Night Watch , so I was bound to enjoy it. And it's one of Pratchett's best books, I think. We see Vimes as a young man, and experience the events that change him. And we see Vimes as a grown man, and watch him struggle to live up to his younger self's ideals. It's beautiful - and it's set in amongst the usual craziness and footnotes of the Discworld. Fantastic.
Going Postal was a different experience, because while it's still set in familiar Ankh Morpork, with its accompanying cast of supporting characters, it also introduces many new ones. I read it quite soon after it was released, and thought it was OK. On the second reading, I enjoyed it much more. I think Discworld novels, for me, always need a second read - I'm too excited about them when they're first written, and reality always feels like a bit of a let down. Then I read them again, some time later, and appreciate them much more. Going Postal is a fantastic book. (Pratchett is definitely an author who improves with age and practice, as I enjoy his mid to later books much more than his earlier ones.) A spin on the postal service, as apparent by the title, it introduces soon-to-be-ex conman Moist Lipwig, the post office staff, and gives us more golems (Hooray For Golems). Vastly enjoyable. I'm in a Pratchett phase at the moment, while waiting for Thud to arrive at the library.

No comments: