29 November, 2005

Cassandra; Medea; and Electra (Kerry Greenwood)

Each of these books tells the story of the titular character from what I would call a feminist perspective, in that the women are the centre of the stories. I love what Kerry Greenwood has done with these stories, and these characters. These three books have formed the foundation of Greek myths for me - I can't think of Cassandra without seeing Greenwood's visions of Troy burning, blood in the streets. Greenwood has done quite meticulous research, but doesn't apologise for her interpretation or changing of certain events - in fact, she explains her choices in detail in appendixes to each book, which are fascinating reading in themselves, and made me want to devour every version of these stories I can find.

(In a somewhat similar vein, Margaret Atwood has just published a story about Penelope, wife of Odysseus - The Penelopiad - which looks fantastic.)

Cassandra and Electra are slightly linked - it is better to read Cassandra first, as Electra is set after the conclusion of the fall of Troy, and it works better chronologically. Medea stands on its own.

If you are passionately attached to one version or the other of these stories, you might not enjoy these. Cassandra has two lovers and survives the fall of Troy, Electra was raped by her stepfather, and Medea doesn't kill her own children.

These characters come alive under Greenwood's pen - in fact, the world of Ancient Greece lives, visceral and breathing, in these books. They're some of my very favourite books - highly recommended, if you can find copies.

2 comments:

Oanh said...

C - have you read Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley? I too enjoyed Greenwood's interpretation of familiar femmes in myth, but have never quite seen Cassandra as anyone other how Zimmer Bradley characterises her in Firebrand.

Cee said...

I have read Firebrand, but I read Cassandra beforehand, so Greenwood's version of Cassandra was firmly implanted (I re-read it for this review). Zimmer Bradley's couldn't quite take hold - I do recall enjoying the book though.