28 November, 2005

The Powerbook (Jeanette Winterson)

I had never read any Winterson before this novel, and found her style a little hard to adjust to. It's very dream-like, this collection of interlinked stories and scenes, and I wouldn't describe it as a work with a firm plot or narrative.

Winterson creates very visceral imagery - her descriptions drip with colour, scent and flavour, and this is the most seductive part of her writing. I found the dialogue between the storyteller and the listener a little forced and wooden, but that was my only dislike in terms of Winterson's writing style.

I found it hard to connect to this book, with its mutable characters, its winding and tenuous storyline, but I really loved Winterson's use of words. I'd like to read another one of her novels, perhaps one of the more conventional ones, although I don't think "conventional" is really a word you can connect with Winterson. This was a book for the Book Club, and it made for an interesting discussion piece - I was pleased to be introduced to Winterson's work.

No comments: