21 November, 2005

Luck in the Shadows; Stalking Darkness; Traitor's Moon (Lynn Flewelling)

These three books are generally referred to as The Nightrunner Trilogy, although only the first two books follow directly on from each other. The third book was written some time afterwards, and is set some years after the events in the first two.

The covers of these books really put me off, as did the blurbs - I'm not into those "young thief in faux medieval world wins the money and gets the girl" books, and this is what these look like at first glance. I really enjoyed them, though, despite my misgivings. Not the most stunningly written fantasy, but it is decent - no glaring horrible bits. (There are so many fantasies with glaringly horrible bits.)

Actually, what I like most about this trilogy is that the two male main characters, Alec and Seregil, have fallen in love by the end of the second book, and are lovers by the third. It's handled very well by Flewelling, and I enjoyed reading a book, especially in a such a cliche-ridden genre, that treats homosexuality as a completely normal aspect of human sexual behaviour.

But apart from containing a very refreshing love story, these books have a fairly average swords 'n magic tale to tell, lifted by decent writing and a good sense of pace. I was drawn into them. 3 out of 5, occasionally verging on 4.

No comments: