03 July, 2006

Living the Good Life (Linda Cockburn)

This diary-style book, interspersed with recipes and snippets of information, is about a family who try to live for 6 months on their suburban block of land without spending any money. They grow their own food, barter their goats milk, cheese and eggs for staples that they can't grow themselves, and do so relatively successfully for 6 months.

Living the Good Life didn't particularly grab me - mostly, I think, because I've read similar books by Jackie French, and vastly prefer Jackie's writing style (and outlook on life as well). However, if you're interested in self-sufficient (or 'self reliant', the phrase that Cockburn prefers) living, and the environmental impact of the average Australian's lifestyle, then you might find this interesting. And if you enjoy it, you'll probably love Jackie French's books as well. Linda Cockburn's family are now living in Tasmania building their own house and plan to write another book on that. I doubt that I'll be reading it - I'm fascinated by gardening stories, but building houses puts me to sleep.

No comments: