03 July, 2006

Wifework (Susan Maushart)

Wifework is a very interesting study of the work women do within marriages, both physical and emotional. Maushart seems to claim that it is the institution of marriage in which this work occurs - I would argue that it happens in defacto relationships as well. I don't believe the act of marriage creates drastic changes with a relationship, although Maushart seems to disagree.

Interestingly enough, I found Kidding Ourselves, which I read a few months ago, a more useful and relevant book than Wifework, despite the fact that Kidding Ourselves was written several years before Wifework was.

Wifework does bring up some interesting points, but I've heard them all before in other places. Maushart is also very negative about marriage as a whole - the Publishers Weekly review quotes her saying, "marriage entails a sort of base level of unhappiness that couples need to learn to anticipate and accept." I don't really believe that, and if it's true, would rather find out for myself than enter into marriage with Maushart's grim outlook. So, interesting book, but I think Kidding Ourselves approaches similar material in a superior way.

No comments: