12 July, 2006

Vengeance of Dragons; Courage of Falcons (Holly Lisle)

After reading Diplomacy of Wolves, I polished off the remaining two novels in the series very quickly - I guess I was more into the story than I thought.

Vengeance of Dragons picks up at Diplomacy's cliffhanger ending, and we follow Kait, her companions and the Mirror of Souls back to Calimekka. Kait and Ry dance around their attraction to each other, but in a very genuine way. There's plenty of plot, and the storyline jumps around various characters throughout the book, but it's not overly confusing. Tightly plotted, lots of action and adventure - a very enjoyable read, despite another cliffhanger ending.

Courage of Falcons is the last book in the Secret Texts series, and again, it immediately picks up the story. (I should mention that both Vengeance and Courage have rather lengthy summaries of the previous books, but I don't think that would be enough to compensate if you hadn't read the previous books in the trilogy. They're definitely not the sort of books you can plunge into without a knowledge of the backstory.) I'm incapable of going very far into the plot without spoiling moments from the previous two books, but suffice to say that the adventure continues, and as per the previous books, it's immensely enjoyable fun, without being life changing or (unfortunately) sticking around in my head too long.

No comments: