03 July, 2006

Monstrous Regiment (Terry Pratchett)

The first time I read Monstrous Regiment (yes, this is a re-read), I was a little disappointed with it. I gulped it down with my usual new-Pratchett haste, which does occasionally end in disappointment as I simply don't spend enough time with the book. Which doesn't really matter, as I always end up re-reading (and re-reading) them at some point.

Anyway, I was hoping for another City Guard book, and didn't really get into Monstrous Regiment the first time around. The second time around I enjoyed it much more, although I still find that I love the earlier Discworld books more so than the later ones. Monstrous Regiment might be a good place to start if you've never read a Discworld book before (although if I was Queen of All the World I'd order people to begin their Pratchett appreciation on novels earlier in the series) - and if you've read Discworld novels before, you know exactly what you're in for.

No comments: