13 September, 2006

Birds of Prey: Sensei & Student (Gail Simone)

I'm really getting into Birds of Prey - I loved Sensei & Student . I'm not sure what it is about it - maybe the fantastic women characters? I haven't read any other comics where the women are centre stage, and these women characters are so well drawn (I mean in a character development sense, but I really enjoyed the artwork in this volume as well. Although I admit that as a beginner comic reader, I don't think I really pay as much attention to the artwork as other readers do. I'm sure that skill comes with time.)

I enjoyed the tension in this volume - Black Canary is forced to team up with Lady Shiva, an assassin, and there's also tension between the three 'Birds', as Huntress finds herself clashing with the other two. I found the ending, especially where Huntress is concerned, just a little sappy, but I'm sure it won't stay that way for long. Can't wait for the next volume.

No comments: