23 September, 2006

Serenity: Those Left Behind (Joss Whedon)

I think this is the first in what will presumably be a series of Serenity comics. It's nicely drawn, with a kind of matte colour pencil look, which I really liked. Interspered in the story are portraits of each of the characters.

While I really love the Serenity/Firefly universe and the series and movie, I found the language, which seems quite natural in the TV series, rather forced when I'm reading it. The occasional Mandarin phrase (which is written in Chinese characters) is difficult to imagine, so instead of their voices flowing through my head, they stop and start. The slang, also, seems rather out of place.

It wasn't all terrible though - a decent story, and I really liked how it was drawn. The dialogue just didn't really click with me.

No comments: