07 September, 2006

Dreamhunter (Elizabeth Knox)

I picked up this YA novel while browsing in the library - the cover with the woman languidly reclining appealed to me, and so did the brief synopsis - a world where dreams are performed for the masses, who pay for the privilege. Dreamhunters travel into The Place, where they catch dreams - some are healing, some soothing, some erotic, some dangerous - and perform them for different audiences. It reminded me a little of Roald Dahl's The BFG, although I discovered that the dreamhunting in this novel is quite different.

Dreamhunter is actually an excellent YA fantasy novel, and I'm glad I discovered it. The story is wonderfully original - I loved the Victorian-style society, the world of The Place, and the mysteries set out for our heroines, Laura and Rose, to discover. The political and societal ramifications of dreamhunting are convincingly and intriguingly explored, without too much of a heavy hand. When Laura's father disappears, and Laura seems to make some rather irrational decisions, the story gets quite tense.

Dreamhunter is first in a "duet" and the story ends frustratingly, right in the middle it seems. I do wish they'd put out one big volume - now I have to wait until the second is published. It's an excellent story though, very exciting, and I'm eager to read the second book.

No comments: