06 September, 2006

Silver's Bane (Anne Kelleher)

I got this out of the library because I'd read the book before it, Silver's Edge, and was impressed - it seemed like a decent Celtic-style fantasy without too many of the usual cliches, and decent writing for a change.

Perhaps there was too big a gap between reading Silver's Edge and Silver's Bane. I was confused, at first, as to who all these characters were and what the hell they were doing, particularly the faery characters. I got the hang of it again after a while, but was never as enthralled with this book as I recall being with Silver's Edge. There were conspiracies and love affairs and I just didn't care very much about any of it.

I think, when the third book of the series is published, I might wait a while and then re-read all three one after the other - they are decent fantasies, and I might enjoy them more if I could remember who people were. Definitely don't start Silver's Bane without having read Edge. You won't understand a thing.

No comments: