04 September, 2006

Castle Waiting (Linda Medley)

If I had plenty of money to spare, I'd probably buy this graphic novel just because it's so prettily presented. However, not being able to roll around in piles of banknotes of an evening, I got a copy of Castle Waiting from the library, which is how I get hold of most of the books I read.

As one reviewer on Amazon says, this is a wandery story. Very wandery. It's a series of loosely interconnected stories that leap off on tangents, and don't really come to a satisfactory conclusion at the end. There's lots of characters I want to know more about - perhaps there will be a sequel.

Castle Waiting is beautifully drawn - it's a delight to read. There's a lot of humour and personality in its stories, and it's a well designed book - it's a pleasure to rest it in your hands, and turn its pages. I really loved the order of bearded nuns - I laughed a lot throughout that story. A very fun, enjoyable story, easy to pick up and read in spare moments - very good fun, overall.

No comments: