13 September, 2006

Black Powder War (Naomi Novik)

I raced through Black Powder War almost too fast - I was so excited to have it in my hands and so eager to find out what Temeraire and Lawrence did next. I had to remind myself to slow down. (When will the fourth book be released? Can it be twenty times as long, please?)

Basic plot - Temeraire and Lawrence receive orders and make their way from China to Turkey to retrieve dragon eggs purchased by Britain. They then detour to Prussia and take part in battles there against Napoleon's army.

I think this is the darkest of the three volumes so far - there are a couple of devastating battles, and Temeraire and Lawrence constantly encounter setbacks. Novik brings to life a terrible war and a sense of impending doom very well, I thought. Right at the end, they receive terrible news from England, which didn't really sink in until I closed the book and thought, "Oh my GOD. Where the hell is she going to take all this in the fourth book?" Terribly frustrating having to wait.

No comments: