06 August, 2005

Eating the Underworld (Doris Brett)

Doris Brett is an Australian poet and author, but the only reason I knew her name is because I own (or more accurately, stole from my mother) an extremely battered copy of her Australian Bread Book. A Google search reveals that it's not only out of print, but quite rare, so I should take better care of it, rather than dropping splodges of batter on its pages. (I can always easily find my favourite recipes in books - the pages are terribly stained).
Eating the Underworld is, according to the subtitle, a "memoir in three voices". It tells the story of Brett's encounter with cancer, in a journal, in poetry, and in short bits of fiction, although the journal is by far the dominant voice.
While cancer is the initial focus, the memoir also branches out into Brett's professional work as a psychologist and her family relationships, especially a particularly fraught and abusive relationship with her sister. It's a fascinating work - Brett writes beautifully and richly about her own emotional and physical experiences, and I really enjoyed the poems that, neatly chronologically, bookended each chapter.
]It was an inspiring book, about a woman who managed to reap great rewards from a terrible experience. It almost makes you believe that you would approach such hardship in a similar way. Very much recommended, if you enjoy memoirs, and if you can find a copy.

2 comments:

lazy cow said...

I know this is a very old post but I just had to comment (don't even know if you'll read it!) I found this at the library last year and thought it was a familiar name, then realised it was Lily Brett's sister. It's fascinating reading Doris's take on their family, after all Lily has written. (And the fact Doris wrote a bread book - that's just too bizarre).

Cee said...

Before reading this book, I'd never heard of Lily Brett! I'd actually like to read something of hers, although after reading Doris' take on their relationship, I have a rather negative view of Lily. It's a really great bread book - it's disappointing it's no longer in print!