04 June, 2006

The Betrayal of Bindy McKenzie (Jaclyn Moriarty)

Jaclyn Moriarty is one of my favourite YA authors - I've loved everything she's written, to greater and lesser degrees. The Betrayal of Bindy McKenzie was ratheer different to her previous books. Although it still communicates the story through a variety of things such as diary entries, notes, memos and so on, these are all written by Bindy herself, rather than different characters. Bindy is also a rather unsympathetic character, at least at first, although I quickly became fond of her clumsy attempts to be accepted by her peers.

I didn't expect the ending, and found it a little... melodramatic? Not very believable, in any case. It didn't spoil the book, but I wouldn't categorise this as my favourite of Moriarty's work. 3.75 out of 5.

No comments: