12 June, 2006

Talyn (Holly Lisle)

This was a bloody fantastic book. The first novel I've read by Holly Lisle - I saw a rave review online by the editor, and decided to check it out.

Talyn is set in a world where two neighbouring peoples, the Tonks and the Eastils, have been at war for 300 years. When a peace is brokered by the Feegash, a foreign nation known for their neutrality, Talyn, a Tonk soldier, gradually discovers that the Feegash are not what they seem.

I don't really want to say anything more about the plot - it's much better to read it and watch it unfold before you. The system of magic used in Talyn is detailed, unique, and beautifully described - some of the best use of magic I've read. The characters are heart-breakingly real, to the extent that I began to talk aloud to the book, remonstrating with Talyn over her choices in relationships. This is just an excellent, excellent novel - 5 out of 5.

Now I just have to find myself another novel of Lisle's to devour. I'm thinking of trying Diplomacy of Wolves.

No comments: