12 June, 2006

Book to Read - On Writing

Like many wanna-be writers who don't actually write enough, I love to procrastinate with a good book on writing or two.
  1. About Writing - Samual R Delany
  2. The Forest for the Trees - Betsy Lerner
  3. From Where You Dream - Robert Olen Butler
  4. Bird by Bird - Ann Lamott
  5. The Wave in the Mind - Ursula Le Guin
  6. The Passionate, Accurate Story - Carol Bly
  7. Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction - Lisa Tuttle
  8. Write Away - Elizabeth George
  9. Writing Fiction - Garry Disher
Books on writing that I've already read - Le Guin's Steering the Craft, King's On Writing, and almost everything by Julia Cameron and Natalie Goldberg (which isn't to say that I found either of those authors particularly inspirational or helpful - they're just rather addictive.) Carmel Bird's Dear Writer is excellent, and I remember enjoying Orson Scott Card's How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy.

Mostly, I want to read books about writing by authors I enjoy (or have heard of and respect). I don't really expect to get much out of books on writing by someone who has published one book I've never heard of, but often I try them anyway.

1 comment:

Amiene Rev said...

that must be a good guide books for writing. thank for shares.