12 June, 2006

The Bitch Goddess Notebook (Martha O'Connor)

This novel is published as The Bitch Posse in the US - I much prefer the antipodian title and cover. (As an aside, it seems like a strange decision to market a novel under two different titles. I guess it's two different publishing houses, or something.)

The Bitch Goddess Notebook is written by three friends - Cherry, Amy and Rennie. The story goes back and forth between their adult lives, and their experiences together as high school students. They share damaged home lives - one's mother is a cocaine addict, one's parents are alcoholics - and as adults are all emotionally damaged to varying degrees. As teenagers, they bond with alcohol and cutting themselves (and I found the sheer amount of cutting that goes on in this book stretched my ability to believe in the characters - perhaps because it hasn't been part of my life experience at all, but it just seemed a bit excessive.)

I was disappointed by the ending, for a variety of reasons. The dramatic event in the girls' past (which, it is implied, contributed greatly to their messed-up adult lives) was a little unbelievable. I don't know - the story seems to be going in a certain direction, and then suddenly, we have this very dramatic event (sorry to be so vague, but I'm trying not to spoil the storyline) and it just didn't work for me, really.

I'd say overall that I didn't particularly get into this book - mostly because it relates to a teenage experience that I never had, and I couldn't get past my vague disbelief (and occasional irritation) with the characters to get involved with the story. That said, I raced towards the end with great glee, wanting to find out what happened - I just found that I was a little disappointed when I got there. 3.5 out of 5.

No comments: